Now that fall is here, we have the wonderful day light savings time about to start. The temps are getting cooler and the days are noticeably shorter. Have you noticed that you are probably craving more comforting, carby warm foods and maybe have a bigger appetite?!
So, what is it about the cooler months that makes us more hungry and want to reach for the carbs?! There is definetly a comfort aspect, but the effects can stem from physiological and environmental changes! Pretty cool, huh?!
4 reasons we tend to crave warm foods in the cooler months:
- The obvious comfort and warmth
- There’s nothing like a nice bowl of soup on a cold day!
- Hormonal changes
- an increased appetite in colder months may be due to changes in ghrelin and leptin—two hormones that regulate hunger, appetite, and satiety.
- Possible higher levels of melatonin
- Melatonin production is increased during the winter months because it is triggered by the shorter days and less sunlight. Hence why we may feel more sluggish or tired during the day. Promise you aren’t crazy, it’s a real thing.
- Decreased sunlight exposure
- Less sunlight equals less of the mood boosting hormone serotonin. This effects our mood and sense of well-being, and for sure plays a role in depression and seasonal affective disorder. Carbs encourage and help the production of serotonin. Intense carb craving though could point to signs of seasonal affective disorder.
Ok, all that is pretty cool, right, and makes total sense?! We went all out warm foods this week because that is what our bodies are craving! So, warm and comforting it is!
P.S. Another win this week with Wal-Mart delivery! Huge fan of maximizing our time where we can which is why we always cook once, eat twice!
Sweet potato nachos: sweet potatoes cut into discs and roasted, BBQ chicken, sautéed peppers and onions, we will top with salsa, avocado, and a little drizzle of tessemae’s ranch
Veggie power bowls: zucchini, squash, cauli rice, roasted butternut squash and chickpeas, peppers, avocado, and onions.
Black bean turkey chili (recipe coming soon)
Leftover Sweet potato nachos
Leftover veggie power bowls
Pro tip, bowls: You really can’t mess bowls up. Basically, throw all of your favs in a bowl. A requirement for ours: healthy carb, healthy fat, healthy protein, and fiber! Ensuring it meets those requirements will keep blood sugar stable, and help to keep us full!
Pro tip, save on Wal-mart pickup or delivery: click HERE to save $10!
Pro tip, save on Instacart delivery: click HERE to save $10!
Tag me on instagram with your favorite warm fall meals or grocery delivery order, @sarahdbridgeman! Would love to see what you get and create! If you need more dinner ideas, check out the other food posts here!